Friday, March 6, 2009

Poker Update

So I haven't posted in a while but I just figured today definitely warranted making a post. It gets harder and harder to post when so much is going on and the time between when I have last updated gets bigger and bigger... just so much to cover but I decided I definitely need to update. Poker wise things have been continuing to go well, in January I ended up grinding the first 3 weeks of the month and making around $62k or so online and then went to the Borgata Poker Open to play in the $3500 main event with a friend of mine. I rarely ever play tournaments so it was fortunate of me to have a little bit of run good and I finished in 30th place out of 1000 entrants for like 8k more in profit putting me at around $70k for the month.


In hindsight that tournament run ended up costing me a good bit of money I believe because it left me with the tournament bug so the next month in February I flew out to LA for the LAPC events. It wasn't just for the tournaments though, I also find it sort of a break/vacation from the standard everyday grind to go somewhere new with friends and play live instead. But LAPC didn't go to well, I ended up spending probably around like $10k in tournaments and then another $2k in expenses, costing me around $12k for the trip, but more than that though was the opportunity cost of not playing at home. It was cool though, being in LA playing live was more entertaining than grinding online at home which produces pretty much no entertainment value for me at this point. Afterwards, I went to Mexico to visit an ex-gf which was definitely more of a vacation type feel to it since pretty much all I did each day was hang out with her, go to the movies, eat out, then go out at night drinking/partying.

Prior to going to LA/Mexico I had made like $20k online in a few days but after expenses and such in Feb I finished up like $8k, I'll take it all things considered. This month I'm planning to definitely get back on the grind and get things moving. I don't feel like I'm officially back on a good schedule yet though for grinding since when getting back from trips it seems like it takes me a few days to get readjusted to being back at home or a more structured schedule, but I have however put in some sessions of poker which I believe is going alright. I'm not sure though because I've decided this month I'm going to try to not look at results on such a consistent basis because it just causes me to be at the whim of how things are going in the short term, which in poker is completely out of your control anyway so it's rather futile to begin with.

No comments: