Friday, March 6, 2009

Exciting Implications!

Well, a lot of pretty cool things happened today. For one, considering this blog is about "Aspiring Investor" and there hasn't been even a hint of anything investment related in here it's kind of cool to post about this. I have an uncle whose very successful business/finance wise... operating on a seriously high level, he is working towards billionaire status. Well anyway, I have somewhat of a relationship with him from childhood when I used to visit my cousins and live with them for months during the summer but not like extremely close. I had contacted him while still in college since I very much respect his experience/accomplishments in business.. as well as life in general. I basically told him what I was working on in my own life, where I was at with those plans, and what I wanted to accomplish to see if he could offer any constructive criticism to my ideas or any advice based on his own experience. At the time he basically told me that if what I was doing was successful and I was confident in it (poker), to continue playing poker and further down the line once I'd built up more capital I could branch out into other options.

So anyway, he recently got on Facebook unbeknownst to me so I decided to send him a message updating him on my status and see how things are going with him. He called me and during our talk basically told me very matter of factly that the best investment options at the moment that he's involved in are in Africa and that he wouldn't touch anything in the USA at the moment. He suggested that a good idea would be for me to fly out with him to Africa (he goes on a 2 week trip every month for business) and he'd be able to teach me things first hand and help show me how things work. He also said something else which sounded great to me... I was asking questions regarding how things work because I'm a complete newbie when it comes to investing in anything outside of poker and I asked "So... would I like get in on a deal with some guys and then.." and he cut me off and told me "No no I'd want you to get in on deals with me so that I can make sure you are doing things correctly and have someone you can trust". That sounded like an amazing opportunity to basically be showed the ropes by someone as successful as him.

So clearly stoked at the opportunity I told him I'm interested for sure, so it looks like I'm going to be flying into Africa next month to learn from him and gain some knowledge about how he makes his money. Not to mention I'm excited just to be going to Africa anyway since I like to travel... so being able to see an entirely different continent is an experience in and of itself.

Another thing that I'm excited about is that I was talking to a friend of mine I've known for a long time through poker... probably like 4 years, met him when we were both just starting out. I was telling him about how I'm definitely going to be going to Canada at some point so that I can get set up on some poker sites that are restricted to Americans here... since I felt that by doing so I'd be able to double or even probably triple my potential earnings each month. Apparently he has recently been thinking the EXACT same thing and has gone so far as to already have began researching into places to go in Canada. We're probably going to be going and rooming together which'll be cool too because he's pretty much into the same exact things as me... poker, going out, girls, traveling, etc.

To make things even better, another good friend of mine decided that he wants to quit his job 100% (tired of the working life) and give poker another try. He had attempted to previously but because of some tilt issues and bad bankroll management it was unsucessful so he made the responsible decision to get a job for some reliable income. He said that he's interested in moving out there as well when we go so that he can give poker another try.

This month also, I'm going to be going to Borgata once again (I love that place... especially after having gone to Commerce and seeing moreso why Borgata is so nice), for a deep stacked tournament they have going on so we'll see how that goes. My plan for now though is going to be to just grind poker, head out to Africa, and then move out to Canada to try to triple my earning potential. Hopefully things go as planned but when you're gambling for a living you learn to prepare for anything.

No comments: